1(Of a player in certain sports) occupying an unlawful position on the field, in particular.
- They managed it by surviving the first scrum and forcing their opponents offside, allowing O'Gara to kick them ahead from short range.
- As coach, he dragged players who ignored his leads, even if they were kicking goals, and put many players offside.
- I thought both times they had players offside and the officials felt the same.
1.3 Soccer In the attacking half ahead of the ball and having fewer than two defenders nearer the goal line at the moment the ball is played.
- Murphy kicked another penalty goal in the 33rd minute of the first half for another offside infringement by the backs.
- Athy dominated long passages of the half and won an offside penalty on 18 min which Derek Stacey slotted.
- A Pusam official protested the goal, saying the ball was kicked from an offside position.
The fact or an instance of being offside.
- They'd start shouting for offsides or a penalty claim.
- This sluggish play up front was emphasised by the large number of unnecessary offsides given.
- Threats to sue the Football League and create a new competition with no offsides or draws were just farcical.
Words that rhyme with offsideabide, applied, aside, astride, backslide, beside, bestride, betide, bide, bride, chide, Clyde, cockeyed, coincide, collide, confide, cried, decide, divide, dried, elide, five-a-side, glide, guide, hide, hollow-eyed, I'd, implied, lied, misguide, nationwide, nide, onside, outride, outside, pan-fried, pied, pie-eyed, pitch-side, popeyed, pride, provide, ride, Said, shied, side, slide, sloe-eyed, snide, square-eyed, starry-eyed, statewide, Strathclyde, stride, subdivide, subside, tide, tried, undyed, wall-eyed, wide, worldwide
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.