Definition of ogive in English:
1.2A thing having the profile of an ogive, especially the head of a projectile or the nose cone of a rocket.
- The curve of the ogive usually is the arc of the circle, the center of which is located in a line perpendicular to the axis of the projectile and the radius of which is generally 6 to 11 calibers.
- This lightweight insert extends the bullet nose and accommodates use of a longer ogive - the radius of the curve of the bullet tip.
- It's essential that an optimum overall length for the cartridge is established for your chamber based on the distance the bullet ogive is set off the rifling.
Late Middle English: from French, of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- In its preference for elaborate geometric figures, ogival forms, and complex molding, the Netherlandish Gothic of the sixteenth century differs even from that of the mid-fifteenth century.
- The most distinctive part of the reliquary is its cupola, a small ogival crystal vault divided into six sections by ribs decorated with crockets.
- The tabernacles framing the niche, for instance, are formed by bells whose contours define inverted ogival trefoils.
Definition of ogive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan