noun(often oil sands)
- A deposit of loose sand or partially consolidated sandstone containing petroleum or other hydrocarbons.More example sentences
- The company has bet big on exploiting hard-to-extract natural gas and hard-to-process heavy crude, bitumen, and oil sand.
- There is a higher salt content in the oil sand that will require $100 million in expenses to solve the problem.
- Unlike the flowing reserves that are pumped out of Dallas, oil sands are actually deposits of bitumen - a tar-like mixture of petroleum hydrocarbons that are attached to sand.
More definitions of oil sandDefinition of oil sand in:
- The British & World English dictionary