1 derogatory A single woman regarded as too old for marriage.
- Do you wish for you and your sister to grow into single old maids?
- As illegal divers working for the Asian export market continue to thin abalone populations, the survivors are dying off as old maids and bachelors.
- The daughter was heartbroken, never married and died an old maid.
2A card game in which players collect pairs and try not to be left with an odd penalty card, typically a black queen.
- The school is also encouraging parents to introduce their children to cards games such as old maid, snap and bridge.
- As in old maid, you do not know what card you are going to take, and the player you are taking the card from does not know which one you will take.
- Steph has a poker face as good as my 4 year old daughter playing old maid.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: old maid
Definition of old maid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.