- 1Any of a number of deep-bodied edible marine fishes, in particular.
More example sentences
- ● a brightly patterned tropical Atlantic triggerfish (Balistes vetula, family Balistidae). ● a small brightly patterned Australian fish (Enoplosus armatus, the only member of the family Enoplosidae). ● the black sea bream of European Atlantic waters (Spondyliosoma cantharus, family Sparidae).
- Porcupine fish and old wives hover near encrusted piles, while talma poke among the soft corals.
- Large schools of old wives, bullseyes and big trevally, too wily for the fishermen, took refuge here.
- Heading up the boulder slope towards Slot Cave to look for a resident school of old wives, we came across a couple of Port Jackson shark egg cases, which reminded me of WWI hand grenades.
- 2 another term for oldsquaw.