Definition of oleaster in English:
A Eurasian shrub or small tree that is often cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genus Elaeagnus, family Elaeagnaceae: several species, in particular E. angustifolia, commonly called Russian olive, which bears edible yellow olive-shaped fruit
- Olives from wild trees (oleasters) were sporadically gathered, in the Near East, by Neolithic peoples about 10,000 years ago.
- Additionally, to compare the genetic diversity of laperrinei populations with that of populations belonging to the europaea subspecies, wild Mediterranean olives (oleasters) were characterized.
- Anyway, I arrive at my own yard and see my overgrown oleaster hedge in bloom with its teeny-tiny, very un-peony-like flowers.
late Middle English: from Latin, from olea 'olive tree'.
Definition of oleaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan