A Eurasian shrub or small tree that is often cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genus Elaeagnus, family Elaeagnaceae: several species, in particular E. angustifolia, commonly called Russian olive, which bears edible yellow olive-shaped fruit
More example sentences
- Olives from wild trees (oleasters) were sporadically gathered, in the Near East, by Neolithic peoples about 10,000 years ago.
- Additionally, to compare the genetic diversity of laperrinei populations with that of populations belonging to the europaea subspecies, wild Mediterranean olives (oleasters) were characterized.
- Anyway, I arrive at my own yard and see my overgrown oleaster hedge in bloom with its teeny-tiny, very un-peony-like flowers.
late Middle English: from Latin, from olea 'olive tree'.
More definitions of oleasterDefinition of oleaster in:
- The British & World English dictionary