Another term for alkene.
- Epoxidation, the conversion of an olefin (an unsaturated alkene hydrocarbon) to a cyclic ether through reaction with hydrogen peroxide, a peracid, or oxygen, is an important chemical technique.
- Whatever the feedstock, the product slate is a complex mixture of hydrogen, ethylene, other olefins, diolefins and gasoline as well as smaller amounts of acetylenes and carbon monoxide.
- The second phase comprises an organic solvent containing soluble reagents such as olefins.
- Example sentences
- Structurally, morphine exhibits the complexity and multifunctionality typical of so many alkaloids; its benzylisoquinoline nucleus supports amino, hydroxyl, olefinic and ether functions in a pentacyclic system.
- Essential oil hydrocarbons are usually olefinic and made up of isoprene units: terpenes, sesquiterpenes and diterpenes.
- Process for selectively separating hydrogen, or both hydrogen and carbon monoxide from olefinic hydrocarbons
Mid 19th century: from French oléfiant 'oil-forming' (with reference to oily ethylene dichloride).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of olefin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.