Definition of oligarch in English:
1A ruler in an oligarchy.
- The sense of individual identity of the oligarch is entirely located in the social structure of the oligarchy itself.
- These cities were ruled by oligarchs who enjoyed the backing of the Roman authorities.
- Kings and oligarchs are playing their last card: we can prevent their game.
2(Especially in Russia) a very rich businessman with a great deal of political influence.
- We are starting to win back our country from the media, the oligarchs, the corrupt politicians.
- The dictatorship of transnational corporations, ruled by financial oligarchs, must be ended.
- By making their fortunes on the backs of common Russians, the oligarchs themselves are a pretty unsympathetic lot.
late 19th century: from Greek oligarkhēs, from oligoi 'few' + arkhein 'to rule'.
Definition of oligarch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan