- 1A ruler in an oligarchy.More example sentences
- The sense of individual identity of the oligarch is entirely located in the social structure of the oligarchy itself.
- These cities were ruled by oligarchs who enjoyed the backing of the Roman authorities.
- Kings and oligarchs are playing their last card: we can prevent their game.
- 2(Especially in Russia) a very rich businessman with a great deal of political influence.More example sentences
- We are starting to win back our country from the media, the oligarchs, the corrupt politicians.
- The dictatorship of transnational corporations, ruled by financial oligarchs, must be ended.
- By making their fortunes on the backs of common Russians, the oligarchs themselves are a pretty unsympathetic lot.
late 19th century: from Greek oligarkhēs, from oligoi 'few' + arkhein 'to rule'.
More definitions of oligarchDefinition of oligarch in:
- The British & World English dictionary