- A glial cell similar to an astrocyte but with fewer protuberances, concerned with the production of myelin in the central nervous system.More example sentences
- There are also supporting tissues in the nervous system, known collectively as glia; for example, Schwann cells surround the axons of peripheral neurons, and oligodendrocytes and astrocytes ensheath the axons of central neurons.
- These precursor cells develop from stem cells and are specialized so that they can form only two kinds of cells: astrocytes, which help support neurons and influence their activity, and oligodendrocytes, which produce myelin.
- They successfully grew skin cells, smooth muscle cells, neurons and other nerve cells known as astrocytes and oligodendrocytes, and pigment producing cells called melanocytes, Reuters reports.
More definitions of oligodendrocyteDefinition of oligodendrocyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary