- (Of a bog or its vegetation) dependent on atmospheric moisture for its nutrients.More example sentences
- Nutrient enrichment by marine aerosols has been associated with the occurrence of poor fen species in ombrotrophic bogs of coastal Maine, and may be responsible for the somewhat unusual vegetation of Lily Fen.
- This is particularly so if one discounts studies of the pollutant susceptibilities of Sphagnum mosses growing on peat in ombrotrophic mires.
- Of the types of peatlands that form this ‘living history book’, the ombrotrophic or ‘rain-fed’ raised bogs are most distinctive.
More definitions of ombrotrophicDefinition of ombrotrophic in:
- The British & World English dictionary