1An ancient Hebrew dry measure, the tenth part of an ephah.
- And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.
- While the emphasis of this book has been on character development and spiritual growth via daily improvement of personality traits, the mitzvah of counting the omer goes one step further.
- I have truly enjoyed reading these segments following the omer count.
2 (Omer) Judaism A sheaf of corn or omer of grain presented as an offering on the second day of Passover.
- She is there in the Omer, the sheaf of barley offered on the second day of the Passover.
- The people will end up eating from the new grain at dawn when in fact they are required to wait until the Omer sacrifice is offered.
- In response to repeated attempts by Cheryl Perry to get the tax bill lifted, ‘city hall’ argued that since her address is in Omer, she has to pay the taxes of Omer, regardless of what tax-funded services she may or may not receive.
2.1The period of 49 days between the second day of Passover and Shavuoth (Pentecost).
- Therefore, the joy of the first day of Pesach cannot be joined with the other joy of the continuation of the redemption (as symbolized by the counting of the Sfira), and therefore, we start counting the Omer on the second day of Pesach.
- The 50th day, the day after counting the Omer is completed, is the holiday of Shavuot; it is in a very real sense the culmination of Passover.
- After the 49 days of Counting the Omer, after having fully achieved inner renewal by merit of having assessed and developed each of our 49 attributes, we arrive at the fiftieth day.
From Hebrew ῾ōmer.
Definition of omer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.