A terrestrial invertebrate of the small phylum Onychophora; a velvet worm.
- A number of fossils from the Cambrian have been described which look more or less like onychophorans.
- All of these Cambrian forms differed from living onychophorans in being marine.
- Whilst true arthropods, tardigrades and onychophorans are highly differentiated in form today, such was not always the case.
Relating to or denoting onychophorans.
- In that time, the first undoubted fossil annelids, arthropods, brachiopods, echinoderms, molluscs, onychophorans, poriferans, and priapulids show up in rocks all over the world.
- Other organisms placed in the Ecdysozoa include kinorhynchs, priapulids, nematomorphs, onychophorans and tardigrades.
- Furthermore, the absence of engrailed expression in the onychophoran ectoderm makes more sense in the context of a skeleton bounding function rather than a general segmentation program.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of onychophoran in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.