1Limestone consisting of a mass of rounded grains (ooliths) made up of concentric layers.
- Greensand, coal, rock salt, coral limestone, oolites, and boulder clays are examples of indicators of depositional environments.
- At Taskent the upper layer of oolite is more resistant but sharply truncated beneath stromatolites of the overlying Gevne Formation.
- However, in the northeastern area of the outcrop, only the lowermost 0-2 m consist of calcareous sandstone, with oolites, biothermal limestones and crinoidal limestones characterizing the remainder.
1.1 another term for oolith.
- Example sentences
- Cycles are common, with deeper water bioclastic limestones at their base, followed by shallow marine oolitic limestones and lagoonal calcareous mudstones, with palaeokarstic horizons representing emergence at their top.
- His fieldwork, beginning over 60 years ago in the Svalbard Archipelago, Norway, and Greenland, recognized obvious glacial marine deposits bounded above and below by oolitic limestones that suggested tropical deposition.
- An exception is the minor cyclicity noted in Chadian oolitic limestones of South Wales, but these are restricted geographically, and it is likely that they reflect local controls rather than eustatic ones.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of oolite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.