(also oompah-pah) informal
Definition of oompah in English:
Used to refer to the rhythmical sound of deep-toned brass instruments in a band.
- She was accompanied by a band that played oompah music, on a tiny stage, with the smell of fried potatoes wafting in from the kitchen.
- Southampton's city centre could echo to the sounds of oompah bands and smell of sizzling bratwurst and schnitzels this Christmas.
- In Town Hall Square there will be a dramatic feel to things, with performances from Keighley Amateurs and HYT, plus music from a Bavarian oompah band.
verb (oompahs, oompahing, oompahed)[no object] Back to top
Make an ‘oompah’.
- At first it sounds like a silly song; it oompahs along like a jittery ‘Li'l Rascals’ tune, but modern ears don't easily hear everything that's going on.
Late 19th century: imitative.
Definition of oompah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.