noun (plural oophorectomies)
- Surgical removal of one or both ovaries; ovariectomy.More example sentences
- Others might be found serendipitously during a hysterectomy or oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) for other reasons.
- The current dilemma is whether young women undergoing chemical or surgical oophorectomy should take the precaution of having some ovarian tissue frozen.
- Transmen may be offered bilateral mastectomy, hysterectomy, oophorectomy, and fashioning of a penis and scrotum.
late 19th century: from modern Latin oophoron 'ovary' (from Greek ōophoros 'egg-bearing') + -ectomy.
More definitions of oophorectomyDefinition of oophorectomy in:
- The British & World English dictionary