- 1An opera on a lighthearted theme, typically in French and with spoken dialogue.More example sentences
- His Prague repertory was almost devoid of Italian opera, but it did include many of the French opéras comiques which he felt set the most fruitful example for German composers.
- Berlioz's only Shakespearian opera as such is Béatrice et Bénédict, a two-act opéra comique based on Much Ado About Nothing, written for the Stadttheater in Baden-Baden.
- 1.1Opéra comique as a genre.More example sentences
- It immediately caused controversy, its subject being considered too risqué for such a venue, and the tragic implications of Carmen's death on stage being unusually realistic for the lighter genre of opéra comique.
- During most of the 1800s, though, the work was performed throughout Europe, a delicious example of French opéra comique at its high noon.
More definitions of opéra comiqueDefinition of opéra comique in:
- The British & World English dictionary