Definition of opéra comique in English:
1An opera on a lighthearted theme, typically in French and with spoken dialogue.
- His Prague repertory was almost devoid of Italian opera, but it did include many of the French opéras comiques which he felt set the most fruitful example for German composers.
- Berlioz's only Shakespearian opera as such is Béatrice et Bénédict, a two-act opéra comique based on Much Ado About Nothing, written for the Stadttheater in Baden-Baden.
1.1Opéra comique as a genre.
- It immediately caused controversy, its subject being considered too risqué for such a venue, and the tragic implications of Carmen's death on stage being unusually realistic for the lighter genre of opéra comique.
- During most of the 1800s, though, the work was performed throughout Europe, a delicious example of French opéra comique at its high noon.
Words that rhyme with opéra comiqueantique, batik, beak, bespeak, bezique, bleak, boutique, cacique, caïque, cheek, chic, clique, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, meek, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
Definition of opéra comique in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan