Definition of open something up in English:
1Accelerate a motor vehicle.
- The ignition key was turned, the motor purred then, as the throttle was opened up, the motor roared and the bows lifted and we skimmed across the smooth gin clear water heading for Miller Creek.
- After putting on life vests, Ronnie started the motor and we moved off slowly as the throttle was opened up.
- I put the trim one notch above dead even, and opened the throttle up all the way.
2(Of an athlete or team) create an advantage for one’s side: he opened up a lead of 14-8
More example sentences
- You have a lot more power plays and you get ahead and the other teams have to open it up.
- He can score in bunches, and that opens things up for his teammates.
- He has played a more balanced game this season, but the team needs him to be more aggressive on offense because he opens things up for his teammates.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.