- 1 Computing A system in which the components and protocols conform to standards independent of a particular supplier.More example sentences
- One of these facility executives has taken a close look at open systems based on standard protocols and is concerned about the need to develop extremely precise specifications.
- Storage pooling can be used to provide storage capacity to both open systems and mainframe computers even though the data structure is considerably different for both machines.
- What is being done today to bridge the data gap between open systems and mainframe storage?
- 2 Physics A material system in which mass or energy can be lost to or gained from the environment.More example sentences
- All natural ecosystems are open systems where energy and matter are transferred in and out through the complex interactions of energy, water, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, and other cycles.
- The biosphere is a basically closed system in terms of matter but an open system in terms of energy.
- This is when I introduced the idea of ‘dissipative structures,’ which arise in open systems, exchanging energy and matter with the outside world when driven far from equilibrium.
More definitions of open systemDefinition of open system in:
- The British & World English dictionary