- A reptile of the group Ophidia; a snake.More example sentences
- Some aspects of the ophidian anatomy can be explained by an aquatic mode of life of their putative ancestor, but others are more easily explained by a terrestrial ancestry of snakes.
- If you have always been afraid of snakes, visit a zoo with an ophidian exhibit.
- Moreover, they provide a first insight into the composition of the earliest ophidian venoms and point the way toward a research program that could elucidate the functional context of the evolution of the snake venom proteome.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting snakes.More example sentences
- Boas and pythons still possess vestigial remnants of hind limbs, called "anal claws," which indicate that they are basal members of the ophidian clade.
- Alethinophidians and scolecophidians form a monophyletic ophidian clade that is also unresolved within scleroglossans.
- As indicated by the morphological description above, the postcranial skeleton of Haasiophis (and Pachyrhachis) generally corresponds to an ophidian morphology with no apparent regionalization of the precaudal (precloacal) axial skeleton.
More definitions of ophidianDefinition of ophidian in:
- The British & World English dictionary