An echinoderm of the class Ophiuroidea, which comprises the brittlestars.
- Hans perhaps is best known for his work on crinoids and ophiuroids, but he has many titles on asteroids, echinoids, and holothurians as well.
- Unlike the situation with gastropods, sublethal damage is relatively easy to interpret in ophiuroids and crinoids.
- Some, like many starfish, are predators; holothurians, sand dollars, and ophiuroids often feed on detritus; crinoids are filter-feeders; sea urchins scrape algae from rocks.
Relating to or denoting ophiuroids.
- Alternative phylogenetic trees were compared excluding the ophiuroid data set.
- A few ophiuroid species can even tolerate brackish water, an ability otherwise almost unknown among echinoderms.
- However, the placement of the ophiuroid branch with respect to the other echinoderms is still unresolved.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ophiuroid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.