The branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders and diseases of the eye.
- He entered St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1933 and while there won prize exams in surgery, ophthalmology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
- Carmeda is conducting research in key sectors such as ophthalmology, orthopedics, and neurology.
- Most of the work will be in orthopaedics and ophthalmology - specialties with the longest waiting lists.
- Example sentences
- As an aside, the report does not indicate whether any underlying eye disease was fortuitously diagnosed by the ophthalmological referrals.
- Full ophthalmological assessment can help narrow the differential diagnosis.
- Scientists are learning more about how diabetes affects the cardiovascular, renal, nervous, and ophthalmological systems.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ophthalmology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.