Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of opopanax in English:
1An acacia tree with violet-scented flowers that yield an essential oil used in perfumery, native to warm regions of America and cultivated elsewhere.
- Acacia farnesiana, family Leguminosae
- When dawn comes tomorrow morning you will be able to see the opoponax sitting on the window sill.
3 [mass noun] A fragrant gum resin which is used in perfumery.
- This resin is obtained from the tree Commiphora kataf, family Burseraceae
- The ingredients asafoetida, galbanum and opoponax are all strong-smelling resins derived from plants.
- The sophisticated men's fragrance contains a rich blend of oriental scents including opoponax, patchouli, amber and musk.
Late Middle English: via Latin from Greek, from opos 'juice' + panax 'all-healing'; compare with panacea.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.