Entry from British & World English dictionary
- Acacia farnesiana, family Leguminosae.
- When dawn comes tomorrow morning you will be able to see the opoponax sitting on the window sill.
- This resin is obtained from the tree Commiphora kataf, family Burseraceae.
- The ingredients asafoetida, galbanum and opoponax are all strong-smelling resins derived from plants.
- The sophisticated men's fragrance contains a rich blend of oriental scents including opoponax, patchouli, amber and musk.
Late Middle English: via Latin from Greek, from opos 'juice' + panax 'all-healing'; compare with panacea.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: opop|anax
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.