Definition of opsonize in English:
verb[with object] Medicine
Make (a foreign cell) more susceptible to phagocytosis.
- The role of B-cells in the immune response is to release antibodies that may opsonize a particular cell and assist T-cells in destruction of that cell.
- It opsonised GAS with an average percentage opsonisation of 46 and 50 per cent, respectively.
- Three-micrometer latex beads were opsonized with human immunoglobulin G.
- Example sentences
- Children who are undernourished consistently have been found to have significant and profound changes in cell-mediated immunity, complement levels, and opsonization that lead to susceptibility to various infections.
- Infection is cleared, usually within 2-3 weeks, by antibody opsonization and macrophage clearance.
- Their functions include not only self/non-self recognition but also engaging associated effector mechanisms, such as complement-mediated opsonization and killing of potential pathogens.
Definition of opsonize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan