Definition of opt in English:
Make a choice from a range of possibilities: consumers will opt for low-priced goods [with infinitive]: students opting to continue with physics
More example sentences
- It also means exercising regularly and opting for active living choices rather than the lazy ones.
- Parents opting for single-sex schools take other factors into account, though.
- Fewer students than ever are opting to study maths at a higher level.
- Choose not to participate in or carry on with something: they had both opted out of the medical planMore example sentences
- Last spring, he opted out of football drills and chose instead to pitch for the USC baseball team, taking the hill in nine games.
- A little-debated provision in the 1996 welfare reform law mandates a lifetime ban on welfare and food stamps for drug offenders, although New York is one of eight states that have opted out of the ban.
- After the arrangements were made, Love opted out of the event altogether, as she reportedly ‘missed her plane’ from Los Angeles.
Words that rhyme with optadopt, co-opt, Copt
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.