Definition of optical isomer in English:
Each of two or more forms of a compound that have the same structure but are mirror images of each other and typically differ in optical activity.
- A powerful tool to study the mechanism by which cholesterol modifies the function of ion channels is the substitution of endogenous cholesterol with its optical isomer, epicholesterol.
- An interesting observation was that Compound D is identical to Compound Q except that they are optical isomers.
- Its origins lie with Louis Pasteur's discovery of optical isomers.
- optical isomerism noun
- Example sentences
- Optical isomerism occurs in other compounds such as transition metal complexes.
Definition of optical isomer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.