Definition of optical isomer in English:
Each of two or more forms of a compound that have the same structure but are mirror images of each other and typically differ in optical activity.
- A powerful tool to study the mechanism by which cholesterol modifies the function of ion channels is the substitution of endogenous cholesterol with its optical isomer, epicholesterol.
- An interesting observation was that Compound D is identical to Compound Q except that they are optical isomers.
- Its origins lie with Louis Pasteur's discovery of optical isomers.
optical isomerism noun
- Example sentences
- Optical isomerism occurs in other compounds such as transition metal complexes.
Definition of optical isomer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan