Definition of orache in English:
A plant of the goosefoot family with leaves that are sometimes covered in a white mealy substance. Several kinds are edible and can be used as a substitute for spinach or sorrel.
- Genus Atriplex, family Chenopodiaceae: several species, in particular the common orache (A. hortensis), which is cultivated in some areas
- Spinach was a better green vegetable than the goosefoots, sorrels, orach, and similar plants which were widely used in medieval Europe, and gradually usurped their place.
- The plant can also be called mountain spinach, or orach.
- To the side I heaped up a pile of purple orach, and of course we set out piles of business cards and brochures along with an open photo album.
Definition of orache in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan