(also orangutang, orang-utan)
Definition of orangutan in English:
A large mainly solitary arboreal ape with long reddish hair, long arms, and hooked hands and feet, native to Borneo and Sumatra. The mature male develops fleshy cheek pads and a throat pouch.
- Pongo pygmaeus, family Pongidae
- Experts now bracket humans in the ‘hominidae’ family of great apes, along with orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas.
- He added: ‘When people think of monkeys they think of chimpanzees and orangutans which are actually great apes.’
- In fact, actually compared to chimpanzees and gorillas the orangutans are really much more endangered.
Late 17th century: from Malay orang utan 'forest person'.
Definition of orangutan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.