(also orangutang, orang-utan)
Definition of orangutan in English:
A large mainly solitary arboreal ape with long reddish hair, long arms, and hooked hands and feet, native to Borneo and Sumatra. The mature male develops fleshy cheek pads and a throat pouch.
- Pongo pygmaeus, family Pongidae
- Experts now bracket humans in the ‘hominidae’ family of great apes, along with orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas.
- He added: ‘When people think of monkeys they think of chimpanzees and orangutans which are actually great apes.’
- In fact, actually compared to chimpanzees and gorillas the orangutans are really much more endangered.
Late 17th century: from Malay orang utan 'forest person'.
Definition of orangutan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan