Definition of orbital in English:
1Of or relating to an orbit or orbits.
- With its emphasis on accurate space flight simulation and orbital mechanics, Orbiter is not all things to all space and astronomy enthusiasts.
- This nearly polar orbit is designed such that the spacecraft's orbital path moves at the same apparent rate as the Sun.
- This creates increased atmospheric drag on spacecraft in low orbits, shortening their orbital lifetime.
1.1British (Of a road) passing around the outside of a town.
- Apple has confirmed its third UK retail location: the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent, just outside London's M25 orbital freeway.
- On February 1st they kick-started the tendering process for the extension of the M77 to Fenwick and the creation of the new Glasgow southern orbital road.
- The concept of an orbital road around the capital had been discussed since the Royal Commission on London Traffic in 1905.
nounPhysics Back to top
Each of the actual or potential patterns of electron density that may be formed in an atom or molecule by one or more electrons, and that can be represented as a wave function.
- In addition, it can also lead to daunting calculations as each atom contributes its orbitals to the whole molecule.
- The effect is due to the distortion of the electron orbitals because of the magnetic field.
- It is also possible for two orbitals on each atom to overlap, forming two molecular orbitals between the two atoms.
Words that rhyme with orbitalpedestal • sagittal • vegetal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.