- A red dye obtained from orchil, used as a stain in microscopic study.More example sentences
- The chromosomes were stained with acetic orcein and visualized with a light microscope.
- Chromosomes were counted in root tips stained with acetic orcein.
- The slide was immersed in 1% orcein in 45% acetic acid for 15 min, washed in distilled water, air-dried and a coverslip was mounted in Histomount (National Diagnostics, Hull, UK).
mid 19th century: alteration of orcin, another name for orcinol.
More definitions of orceinDefinition of orcein in:
- The British & World English dictionary