- (In a system of coordinates) the y-coordinate, representing the distance from a point to the horizontal or x-axis measured parallel to the vertical or y-axis.More example sentences
- The negative and positive signs on the ordinate mean, respectively, underestimation and overestimation of the expected values.
- Time in minutes is plotted along the abscissa and the cumulative number of responses is plotted on the ordinate.
- The ordinate indicates additive effects on each trait estimated by interval mapping.
late 17th century: from Latin linea ordinata applicata 'line applied parallel', from ordinare 'put in order'.
More definitions of ordinateDefinition of ordinate in:
- The British & World English dictionary