- A gold-colored alloy of copper, zinc, and sometimes tin, cast into desired shapes and often gilded, used especially in the 18th century for decorating furniture and making ornaments.More example sentences
- There is also a correlation between art brass and the traditional use of ormolu in French interiors.
- He checked the time by his watch, then reset the ormolu clock on the desk, which had lost two minutes during the night.
- Needless to say, the ormolu retains its original gilding, and the Blue John body is richly hued and striated.
mid 18th century: from French or moulu 'powdered gold' (used in gilding).
More definitions of ormoluDefinition of ormolu in:
- The British & World English dictionary