An amino acid produced by the body that is important in protein metabolism.
- Chemical formula: NH2(CH2)3CH(NH2)COOH
More example sentences
- About 50-percent of ingested arginine is rapidly converted in the body to ornithine, primarily by the enzyme arginase.
- When your body doesn't digest protein completely, gut bacteria convert two of the amino acids in protein, arginine and ornithine, to compounds called polyamines.
- This may occur in part as a result of pathologically elevated activity of arginase, an enzyme that hydrolyzes arginine to ornithine and urea.
Definition of ornithine in:
- The British & World English dictionary