Definition of ornithology in English:
The scientific study of birds.
- This fresh autobiographical study in amateur ornithology may be one of the first birding romance novels!
- What do you consider your most important contribution to ornithology?
- The German author is widely recognized for his work in ornithology.
- Example sentences
- Recent ornithological events on the lower Bure marshes, near Yarmouth, have reminded me of my earliest bird-watching days.
- Lear's book of parrots was an immediate success and no doubt had he persevered with his ornithological studies he would have achieved immortality as a new Audubon.
- Among the many ornithological features observed along the Norfolk coast during the autumn of 1993 was a heavy and prolonged migration of siskins.
- Example sentences
- His choice of the University of Greifswald for medical studies was because of its location in an ornithologically interesting area of Germany.
- At some of these ornithologically important sites, it will take the decimated bird population some 10 to 12 years to recover, he said.
- But then much of the use of birdsong in music has always been an anecdotal exercise, a way of deliberately conjuring up a mood or a location rather than any attempt to be ornithologically exact.
Late 17th century: from modern Latin ornithologia, from Greek ornithologos 'treating of birds'.
Words that rhyme with ornithologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of ornithology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.