Definition of oropendola in English:
A gregarious tropical American bird of the American blackbird family that constructs a pendulous nest and has brown or black plumage with yellow outer tail feathers.
- Genus Psarocolius, family Icteridae: several species
- According to Ridgely and Tudor, it is more likely to be mistaken for a cacique than an oropendola in the field.
- In one spot deep within the gorge, the pendulous nests of green oropendolas adorn the outer branches of a tall tree growing on one of the river's small islands.
- We obtained samples from 25 oropendola individuals for our study, chosen to represent variation within and between 8 of the 11 species of oropendola recognized by Sibley and Monroe.
late 19th century: from Spanish, literally 'golden oriole'.
Definition of oropendola in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia