Definition of orris in English:
A preparation of the fragrant rootstock of an iris, used in perfumery and formerly in medicine.
- The root is usually taken from Iris × germanica variety Florentina
- It contains juniper berries, calendula, peppermint and orris root, and it effectively whitens teeth by helping to prevent plaque build-up and gum disease.
- Mix the lemon oil with the chopped orris root and add to the dried leaves.
- The lady's clothes seemed to fill the whole carnage, and out of this little padded box there drifted a perfume of orris, an indefinable scent of feminine elegance.
Mid 16th century: apparently an unexplained alteration of iris.
Words that rhyme with orrisBoris, doch-an-dorris, Doris, Horace, Maurice, Norris
Definition of orris in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.