Definition of orthotropic in English:
1 Botany (Of a shoot, stem, or axis) growing vertically.
- The mature ovules of both species are orthotropic and crassinucellate.
- Branches are orthotropic and morphologically identical to the trunk.
- In the Champagnat model, the mixed axes have a spiral phyllotaxis and begin their growth with an orthotropic direction before they bend under their own weight.
2 Engineering (Of a material) having elastic properties in two or three planes perpendicular to each other.
- In the design of the orthotropic deck, the composite interaction between the steel deck and the pavement under local and global loading was considered.
- West, Vancouver, fabricated the new bridge sections upside down and welded orthotropic troughs to the 16.8-m-wide deck plates.
- Renovation techniques for orthotropic steel bridge decks are needed to solve fatigue problems in the decks of these bridges.
Definition of orthotropic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.