Definition of ortolan in English:
A small Eurasian songbird that was formerly eaten as a delicacy, the male having an olive-green head and yellow throat.
- Emberizahortulana, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- The ortolan was so prized as a delicacy that it was almost hunted into extinction.
- Dali was quite impressed, though he said he himself only ate ‘food with faces’ which meant fish and ortolans.
- Like Otto's thin-crusted, griddle-cooked pizza, possibly the most controversial foodstuff to hit Gotham since Le Cirque's ortolans.
Words that rhyme with ortolanportolan
Definition of ortolan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.