Definition of ortolan in English:
A small Eurasian songbird that was formerly eaten as a delicacy, the male having an olive-green head and yellow throat.
- Emberizahortulana, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- The ortolan was so prized as a delicacy that it was almost hunted into extinction.
- Dali was quite impressed, though he said he himself only ate ‘food with faces’ which meant fish and ortolans.
- Like Otto's thin-crusted, griddle-cooked pizza, possibly the most controversial foodstuff to hit Gotham since Le Cirque's ortolans.
Words that rhyme with ortolanportolan
Definition of ortolan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia