Definition of oryx in English:
Any of several species of antelopes native to arid regions of Africa and Asia, having dark markings on the face and long, pointed horns.
- Genus Oryx, family Bovidae: several species, including the Arabian oryx (O. leucoryx) . See also gemsbok, scimitar oryx
- Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.
- His animals were the pig, the donkey, the hippopotamus, and the desert oryx.
- The once nearly extinct white oryx, an antelope, has been successfully reintroduced into the wild in Oman.
Definition of oryx in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India