- 1The nickname for one of the golden statuettes given as an Academy Award.More example sentences
- She started dancing at two and went on to win several Oscars, Golden Globes and Emmys.
- The only two indie films to be given Oscars this year were Iris and No Man's Land.
- After all, expectations would be high after garnering all 5 of the big Oscars from his last film.
- 1.1 (the Oscars) The annual presentation of the Academy Awards.More example sentences
- Certainly at the Oscars and Golden Globes you practically have to buy your awards.
- Did the film's failure at the box office and at the Oscars and even in most critics groups make me right?
- This Scandinavian film won the best foreign language film at the Oscars in 1987.
one of the several speculative stories of its origin claims that the statuette reminded Margaret Herrick, an executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, of her uncle Oscar.
- A code word representing the letter O, used in radio communication.More example sentences
- Instead, the NATO alphabet assigns code words to the letters of the English .... Golf Hotel India Juliett Kilo Lima Metro Nectar Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo etc.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
- A South American cichlid fish with velvety brown young and multicolored adults, popular in aquariums.
More example sentences
- Astronotus ocellatus, family Cichlidae. Alternative name: velvet cichlid
- The barbasco oozed a milky-white colloid that, after about 20 minutes, brought several dozen catfish, oscars, and killifish to the surface - not dead, but in a dull stupor.
- I'm aware that plenty of aquarium fish can live much longer than six years, like oscars, pacus, arowanas, etc, but I've never found anything about tetra or other small characoid lifespans.
- Examples include the oscar, Jack Dempsey, jewelfish, convict cichlid, Midas cichlid, and spotted tilapia; and livebearers, such as swordtails, platies and mollies, and armored catfishes.
More definitions of OscarDefinition of oscar in:
- The British & World English dictionary