Definition of osmoregulation in English:
The maintenance of constant osmotic pressure in the fluids of an organism by the control of water and salt concentrations.
- To understand osmoregulation of organisms in the real world, then, we must remember that organisms are more than bags of interesting molecules or vehicles for sets of genes.
- Individual cells can prevent water rushing into them by osmoregulation.
- In spite of these facts, little is known about the ionic mechanisms of osmoregulation in higher plant cells, and the data are controversial at times.
- Example sentences
- This hypothesis is the central issue discussed in the present review, along with the ontogeny of osmoregulatory mechanisms during the embryonic life.
- The osmoregulatory actions of growth hormone and prolactin are antagonistic.
- Green glands in the second antennae serve an osmoregulatory and excretory function.
Definition of osmoregulation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.