A large multinucleate bone cell that absorbs bone tissue during growth and healing.
More example sentences
- The rate at which cells called osteoclasts break down bone is slowed, and the production of new bone increases.
- Vitamin D indirectly stimulates osteoclasts to resorb bone and is necessary for the intestinal absorption of calcium.
- Note the presence of numerous osteoclasts lining the bone trabeculae.
- More example sentences
- Bone mineral density is determined by the homeostasis between osteoblastic bone formation and osteoclastic bone resorption.
- At the cellular level, there was decreased osteoblastic and increased osteoclastic activity.
- There is usually scant osteoblastic or osteoclastic activity, and often there is a marrow component with fat or hematopoietic elements.
Definition of osteoclast in:
- The British & World English dictionary