A bony outgrowth associated with the degeneration of cartilage at joints.
- Aggressive surgical techniques to remove osteophytes from the joint can produce low recurrence rates.
- As discs wear down, bone spurs and osteophytes form on the vertebrae in a condition similar to osteoarthritis.
- Many people develop osteophytes along the spine as a result of the degenerative process.
- Example sentences
- Findings on physical examination include decreased range of motion, crepitus, a mild joint effusion, and palpable osteophytic changes at the knee joint.
- They are sometimes associated with an osteophytic node.
- The loose body and the osteophytic fabella were excised.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of osteophyte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.