- A medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from loss of tissue, typically as a result of hormonal changes, or deficiency of calcium or vitamin D.More example sentences
- For example, the bone loss that causes osteoporosis in susceptible individuals is seen to some degree in all older people.
- Loss of oestrogen is associated with an increased risk of osteoporosis and coronary artery disease.
- If blood levels of calcium fall then calcium is withdrawn from bone, resulting in osteomalacia and osteoporosis.
- More example sentences
- These positive changes in bone during the early developmental years may reduce the risk of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures later in life.
- For example, women who had osteoporotic readings received handouts regarding coping with osteoporosis.
- In each age group, the fracture risk for osteoporotic women is four times that of women without osteoporosis.
More definitions of osteoporosisDefinition of osteoporosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary