The study of diseases of the ear and throat.
- The subcommittee included experts in the fields of primary care, otolaryngology, epidemiology, infectious diseases, hearing, speech and language, and advance practice nursing.
- The subcommittee that developed the guideline included primary care physicians, pediatricians, and experts in the fields of infectious disease, epidemiology, and otolaryngology.
- The facility serves various specialties, and these nurses must be knowledgeable about issues pertaining to otolaryngology, general surgery, orthopedics, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, and other surgical specialties.
- Example sentences
- Two patients had more serious permanent hoarseness and were waiting for otolaryngological review.
- Any patient who has dysphonia for more than two weeks should be referred for otolaryngological examination, especially if they report any high risk factors for organic disease.
- Surgical otolaryngological services to the northern half of the Northern Territory of Australia are provided by staff of the Royal Darwin Hospital.
- Example sentences
- The article gives the impression that there are no serious consequences of untreated acute otitis media, yet otolaryngologists still see cases of perforated ear drums, acute mastoiditis, and chronic suppurative otitis media.
- In the first line of diagnostic tests, the otolaryngologist can utilize fine-needle aspiration to rapidly assess parotid swellings or masses and to establish a diagnosis and treatment plan quickly.
- If one has a chronic form of vertigo, one should see either an otoneurologist, a neurologist who specializes in dizziness, or a neurotologist who is an otolaryngologist who specializes in ear disease.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of otolaryngology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.