Definition of otolith in English:
Each of three small oval calcareous bodies in the inner ear of vertebrates, involved in sensing gravity and movement.
- The macular neuromast organs bear otoliths, as described above.
- Like the inner ear in humans, the otolith plays a role in hearing and balance.
- All of the identifiable teeth and otoliths from the samples were identified and depth ranges were assigned to each taxon based on the known depths of living counterparts.
- Example sentences
- Equally, head movements made in space, where gravitational acceleration is almost eliminated, will elicit sensations of turning from the canals, which are not matched by the normal otolithic signals.
- The apical processes of receptor cells in the macula project into a gelatinous mass, the otolithic membrane.
Definition of otolith in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.