- A secret dungeon with access only through a trapdoor in its ceiling.More example sentences
- A high-ceilinged corridor ran between the oubliettes and the suite.
- Soon afterwards, the heir to the non-existent throne, who was eight, was taken away from his imprisoned mother, aunt and sister and held separately, at first in the room that had been his father's, and then in a secure cell, an oubliette.
- Her suite of rooms are still intact and can be visited, as can the place for the prisoners of humbler origins: the dungeon, and below it the grim oubliette.
late 18th century: from French, from oublier 'forget'.
More definitions of oublietteDefinition of oubliette in:
- The British & World English dictionary