1A section of a fortification or system of defense that is in front of the main part.
- Outside the main defences lay large outworks such as the Terra Nova and Fort William.
- The Fields were a parade ground used by the Prussians, the Wilhelmine army, the Nazis, and finally the Russians, who crisscrossed the flat ground with earth berms, thrown up as protective outworks for their barracks.
- New features included barbicans, walls, and other outworks guarding the approach to an entrance.
2British Work done outside the factory or office that provides it.
- Factories only slowly developed from outwork and workshop production in the first half of the nineteenth century, and they retained many features of the earlier method of production.
- Full-time jobs gave way to part-time ones, and centralised factory production to outsourcing and outwork.
- Women are concentrated in poorly paid work, including part-time and outwork.
Work harder, faster, or longer than: Irwin simply outworks his opponent
More example sentences
- And just three days after a tough and emotional victory against Manchester United, we were unable to outwork the opposition this time.
- Johnson simply outworked and outscored him all night.
- It's not about being outworked, or people being smarter than the American worker.
- sense 2 of the noun.Example sentences
- Stock held on-site was also massively reduced, with four assembly areas combined into one, and the use of many outworkers stopped - all resulting in staggering reductions in costs.
- This year saw the debut of the first ever radio program broadcast by and for outworkers in Australia.
- My father ran the firm for a good many years, and I used to accompany him while still quite small on his rounds to his outworkers.
Words that rhyme with outworkberk, berserk, Burke, cirque, dirk, Dunkirk, erk, irk, kirk, lurk, mirk, murk, perk, quirk, shirk, smirk, stirk, Turk, work
Definition of outwork in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.