verb (past and past participle overheard)[with object]
- Hear (someone or something) without meaning to or without the knowledge of the speaker: I couldn’t help overhearing your conversationMore example sentences
- Children will hear conversations and overhear information on radio, TV and from the playground network.
- The researchers will also note every time they hear or overhear the words being used in conversation.
- We ended our snack (better described as lunch) with a large pot of Chinese tea, overhearing snatches of conversation from a neighbouring table.
More definitions of overhearDefinition of overhear in:
- The British & World English dictionary