Definition of overnighter in English:
1A person who stops at a place overnight.
- If we treated the cruisers right, and just 20 percent came back as overnight visitors, that would be a million more overnighters per year.
- We had 5 million visitors, and 1 million were overnighters.
- The college is open to visitors, but also to overnighters on a range of dates, including during The Sunday Times Oxford Literary Festival.
1.1An overnight bag.
- When experienced traveler Madeleine takes monthly business jaunts around the country, she brings along her trusty black overnighter.
- Thanks to all those UK resellers who entered our competition to win an exclusive laptop overnighter.
- ‘A woman enters. Dressed attractively for the road, carrying her overnighter. She is quite beautiful.’
1.2North American An overnight trip or stay.
- I just got in from a day trip with sleepover - hang on, that makes it an overnighter - trip to down south, for fun filled frivolity in Sorrento, and a catch up with the missus.
- Hey ho. Meanwhile, I find myself home late, preparing for an overnighter.
- For the overnighter I pretty much took a toothbrush, my hot-water bottle and a change of underwear.
Words that rhyme with overnighterall-nighter, biter, blighter, fighter, igniter, inciter, indicter, inviter, lighter, mitre (US miter), reciter, righter, sighter, smiter, writer
Definition of overnighter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.