Definition of overnighter in English:
1A person who stops at a place overnight.
- If we treated the cruisers right, and just 20 percent came back as overnight visitors, that would be a million more overnighters per year.
- We had 5 million visitors, and 1 million were overnighters.
- The college is open to visitors, but also to overnighters on a range of dates, including during The Sunday Times Oxford Literary Festival.
1.1An overnight bag.
- When experienced traveler Madeleine takes monthly business jaunts around the country, she brings along her trusty black overnighter.
- Thanks to all those UK resellers who entered our competition to win an exclusive laptop overnighter.
- ‘A woman enters. Dressed attractively for the road, carrying her overnighter. She is quite beautiful.’
1.2North American An overnight trip or stay.
- I just got in from a day trip with sleepover - hang on, that makes it an overnighter - trip to down south, for fun filled frivolity in Sorrento, and a catch up with the missus.
- Hey ho. Meanwhile, I find myself home late, preparing for an overnighter.
- For the overnighter I pretty much took a toothbrush, my hot-water bottle and a change of underwear.
Definition of overnighter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia