- Cover with a layer of paint.More example sentences
- Even so, a substantial part of the painting was executed, and was carefully preserved after Leonardo's departure from Florence in 1506 until the 1560s, when Vasari overpainted it.
- A counterpoint to Das Wunder, it is abstractly overpainted with arabesques of yellow and white and ornamented with a garland of the eyes that figure in its title.
- For example, the painting may look perfect, but if a tear has been patched up or a restorer has overpainted it (painted over the original colour), this will show up under an expert eye and will lower its value.
nounBack to top
- Paint added as a covering layer.More example sentences
- His latest prize is the recently discovered Rembrandt self-portrait dated 1634, which was hidden for more than 300 years behind layers of overpaint.
- Moreover, what was the point of replacing old overpaint with new, for how could a work painted mainly by others be honestly identified as a Turner?
- However, upon analysis it was discovered that all this loose matter was overpaint not by Turner but by others.
More definitions of overpaintDefinition of overpaint in:
- The British & World English dictionary